When we created Period Mouldings we were very clear on our approach to creating products that would last the test of time.
We did not want to have anything to do with non-natural materials such as plastics and when it came to skirting boards, architraves and other decorative mouldings we were not4 prepared to use man made equivalents such as MDF.
Our ethos stems from the past where timber mouldings were created from local sustainable wood supplies. While this is often not economically feasible in today’s environment we still always prefer to choose FSC timber that is part of sustainable forests.
The rationale behind our approach is that using wood from sustainably managed forests actually reduces carbon dioxide emissions, as the CO2 stored by the forests and in the timber product outweighs any CO2 created during the production of the product. In fact every tonne of timber used instead of other business materials (like steel or brick or concrete block) saves around a tonne of carbon dioxide.
But as a customer what advantage does it offer you?
Aside from the advantages of using natural sustainable materials there are a number of benefits that accrue from the use of timber in your home.
Wood provides you with:
- Great value and added gravitas in a your home;
- A product that exudes quality and offers exceptional value for money;
- A strong solution that can take the hard knocks in its stride and develops its own patina which is part of its character;
- A durable solution that if fitted properly needs little care and maintenance and is easy to keep clean and free of dust mites and bacteria;
- A natural humidity regulator, absorbing humidity in damp conditions and releasing moisture in dry conditions;
- A natural way of creating design concepts in key focus rooms that accentuate the shape and form of the rooms and doorways.
Why then is it not used more often?
The cynic would say that like an Orwellian nightmare we are all travelling towards mediocrity through putting UPVC windows in beautiful cottages and like a changing rooms nightmare we are going MDF mad. I prefer to think that people are just not aware of the benefits of both updating and replacing decorative mouldings nor do they realise how easy and cost-effective such an exercise can be. So we at Period Mouldings have a mission to change people’s views.